The course deals with fundamental topics concerning the processing and acquisition of signals from solid state sensors used for the detection of radiation and especially of elementary particles which travel in the space medium. The main issues about the formation of such signals and the requirements posed to the front-end electronics are illustrated. Special emphasis is devoted to experimental systems installed to be operated as orbital or extra-orbital apparatuses. The main topics of the course are the following:
1. Radiation sensors and signal formation.
2. Electronics for energy measurements: requirements and main issues.
3. Electronics for time measurements: requirements and main issues.
4. Design of compact systems for radiation detection used in space physics experiments.
5. Examples of real detection systems and main issues in their design, construction and operation.