Thermal Analysis and Opto-mechanical Design Approaches
Subjects covered :
- Introduction to the Physics of Heat Transfer (HT): Conduction, Convection, and the non-linear and tricky one to consider: Radiation.
- Specificities related to the 3 HT modes: Conduction, Convection, and particularly Radiation.
- How HT influences Optics, via the Structures and their relative positions, via the change of shapes, and via the change of material properties.
- Temperature and wavelength dependence of structural and optical materials, effects of the presence and absence of air.
- How to model such multiple analysis: the ultimate STOP analysis.
- How to influence the heat paths for optical systems, and optical mounts (a summary of, as this is strongly related to the Opto-Mechanical Design course).
- HT aspects in Space, heat sources: Sun, Planets, ... and heat sinks: Deep Space ...
- HT related to the different spacecraft orbits, LEO, MEO, GEO, deep space exploration, Sun observation ...
- ESA ECSS documentation, where are the Heat Transfer aspects ?
- HT specification from Spacecraft to subsystem, related active and passively controlled Temperature spacecraft concepts
- HT for constant and variable temperature instruments, for cryogenic instruments, operational amd non-op. temperatures
- HT testing, on ground but for Space and vacuum operations (TVC), artefacts from the on-ground testing.
The proposed course is divided into a series of roughly one hour lectures, followed by a short exercise session.